Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Information Latency

I was talking to a friend recently and realized something. If I draw the latency between a specific event happening and me learning about it, here is a line that most everybody is certainly capable of relating to.



In detail, I learned about ....








Looking back, I realized that TV had not been a valuable source of information since 1991 not 2000 like I initially thought. Information now comes directly from sources whose judgement I value some call it the filter bubble but I am not sure. This direct feed into the news still allows differentiation as I cast different level of confidence to every channels. The further away from Twitter, the more the information looks like part of an elaborate theater and packaged. I have also noticed that making sense of these information feeds is enabled through the channel it is originating from:  The channel is the context.


Liked this entry ? subscribe to the Nuit Blanche feed, there's more where that came from

No comments:

Printfriendly